25/09/2017

Anastasia Beverly Hills x Nicole Guerriero Glow Kit

I know I am really late on the bandwagon for reviewing the Anastasia Beverly Hills Nicole Guerriero Glow Kit (I mean, everyone's long gone on the Fenty highlighter train by now!), but I did really want to do a full review on it! I do apologise for my lateness though, because it seems now that this highlighter palette is sold out almost everywhere...eek! I'm not completely sure what the status on it is, from what I heard - it's flip flopped from limited edition, to permanent, back to limited edition, and I'm really not sure if it's coming back! Part of the reason why I delayed this review for so long (besides my laziness) is because it took me a while to make my mind up about it! I do have some mixed thoughts...






The Anastasia Beverly Hills Nicole Guerriero Glow Kit  is packaged pretty typically - it contains six highlighters in circle pans - like their original glow kits - but are smaller and do not pop out of the palette. It's more like the Moonchild Glow Kits in how the pans are really in the palette. Although it's made out of lightweight cardboard, it doesn't feel like cheap cardboard. I mean, I'm sure it would still be easily dinted, but it feels shiny and relatively sturdy. It doesn't contain a mirror, which is unfortunate because I keep going to use the lid as a mirror until I realise it doesn't have one! I love the soft light pink of the packaging - it has a slight silver flecked glitter in it which looks really pretty! I also love the holographic writing on the palette!

So this is my first experience with ABH highlighters (Glow Kit or single) and I won't lie, I had high hopes! They've been raved about for ages, and are touted as being suuuper intense and gorgeously glowy! The powders themselves feel relatively soft, but there's still a powderiness to them. They just don't have that SUPER creamy, buttery feel to them like, for example, the Becca highlighters. I think that "powderiness" is the high concentration of glitter which is...my main issue with these! At their base, these highlighters are incredibly intense, glowy and metallic looking. They look reaaaally beautiful on the skin and really BEAM...but there are discernible glitters in there that really ruin it for me! You can see it in the swatches below (particularly in Kitty Kat). The glitters are quite sparse and kind of look like tiny flecks on the skin. They're not super noticeable, but I do see them and it just ruins the overall effect for me! That being said - it's not as bad as the glitters in the Smashbox highlighter which are just straight up sparkly and fallout looking. At least with this one, I find the longer I wear it the more it sort of meshes with my skin and the glitters become less and less noticeable. So the glitters aren't a huge issue for me - they're not too noticeable and they gradually fade but I do wish they weren't in there! I also find the texture to be unforgiving on textured skin - if I have bumps - it will definitely accentuate them, but it's hard to come by a highlighter that doesn't!

The colour scheme of this palette was what really drew me in - I love warm highlighters and these shades just really appealed to me! That being said, I do think the shade range could've been changed up a bit. I feel Kitty Kat and Forever Young are very similar, and so are Glo Getter and 143, so I think one of each of those could've been changed up for much more different shades.

Kitty Kat is the most pink shade of the palette. It's a light, warm pink that is really pretty and sweet looking! I can use this as a typical highlighter, but I imagine it would be a blush topper on fairer skins. 

Forever Young, like I said, is very similar to Kitty Kat - it's just a touch lighter and more silver toned. It is really gorgeous, but can pull a weeeensy bit ashy on me at times - so I typically only wear it if I'm wearing cooler-toned shades on my eyes/lips. In terms of "cooler" highlighters though - it's really wearable!

Daydream is one of my favourites because it's quite unique! It's a straight sherbert orange with strong gold shimmer. When applied to the face, it definitely comes off a bit lighter and more subtle so don't be scared off by it. If you're pale, the beauty of this palette is that you can mix shades together to make them more wearable for you!

Forever Lit is my least favourite simply because it just doesn't suit me! It has a stark silvery white base, with a blue shimmer/duochrome to it. Unfortunately the base is just too strong and it comes off really ashy on me and just clashes with my skin tone! It is great for lightening up other shades though!

Glo Getter is probably my most used shade! It's very similar to Becca Champagne Pop as it is a gold shade that has a very strong peachy-warm tone to it. Absolutely love it! It's so flattering, and definitely one of the less glittery shades!

143 is similar to Glo Getter but is darker and more bronze toned. I don't use this a lot on its own because it's a touch dark for me, but I love mixing it with other colours.

L-R: Kitty Kat, Forever Young, Daydream, Forever Lit, Glo Getter, 143

In Sunlight, L-R: Kitty Kat, Forever Young, Daydream, Forever Lit, Glo Getter, 143

Tl;DR - these are really gorgeous, intensely metallic highlighters that give off a super beaming glow, BUT they are quite glittery which is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker for me. I do really like these highlighters, but they're certainly not my favourite and I don't think they 100% live up to the hype for me! If you like the look of these shades in the one palette, but don't want to fork out the money, you can check out the Colourpop highlighting palette which is apparently quite similar! Then again...that one is also a little hard to get a hold of haha!

What are your thoughts on this, or ABH's other Glow Kits?

No comments:

Post a Comment