17/11/2016

Chloe x Ciate // Pretty, Fun and Fearless

As one of my favourite Australian youtubers, I was very much intrigued when Chloe Morello first announced her collaboration with Ciate London. Mostly known for their nail polishes, Ciate has only quite recently ventured into makeup and having tried nothing from them before - I was a bit wary when approaching this collection! I hadn't heard much about Ciate's makeup, but I decided to trust in Chloe! Everything in her Beauty Haul really appealed to me, and at $70, I thought it was a pretty good deal! This set has sold out a couple of times already in Australia, but I've heard rumblings that Mecca is trying to get together some more stock, so if you wanted it but didn't manage to get it, keep an eye out! Anyway - let's get into the review!









Chloe's Beauty Haul contains a mini of Ciate's Wonderwand Mascara, a mini of their Liquid Velvet in the shade Pin Up, a faux leather clutch bag and of course - the star of the show - the Pretty, Fun and Fearless eyeshadow palette. I haven't tried the mascara yet (I just can't justify opening it yet :P) so I can't review it yet, but I've heard it's very good and similar to Too Faced Better Than Sex! The clutch bag is a dark navy with rose gold accents and a tassel zipper pull which is quite cute! I definitely think I'll get use out of this as a makeup bag or even a clutch - if I keep the Ciate logo hidden :P. 

As the eyeshadow palette is the main attraction, I'll largely be focusing on it (I'll touch on the Liquid Velvet a little later). It contains 15 shades housed in a thin cardboard palette with a mirror. The packaging is nothing amazing, but it feels reasonably sturdy and travel friendly. The outside design is quite eclectic, but I quite like it! I think the rose gold flamingos are a cute touch :P 

The palette is comprised of nine matte shadows, and six shimmery ones. The best performers in the palette are definitely the matte shades. Almost all of them are well pigmented, smooth and creamy to the touch, and easily blended. They don't kick up too much powder either which is a plus. They might not be the best eyeshadows I've ever tried, but they certainly are very easy to work with and look great on the eye! The shimmer shadows, on the other hand, are a little lacklustre. In the pan, they look super shimmery and foiled, but they just don't transfer that way on the eye or even in swatches. They are very densely packed in the pan and often it's difficult to pick up the product. They tend to work best with a "scratchy" natural-bristled, dense brush or a finger. A smooth/soft eyeshadow brush just won't pick up the product unless you dig it in! Ultimately, the pigmentation isn't outstanding and it doesn't give as much of an intense metallic shine as I would like. That being said, they can still look really pretty and shimmery on the eyes - may require a bit of work though!

I definitely applaud Chloe on her choice of shades in the palette. I'd argue that she has the perfect mix of warm and cool shades in the palette, but that can still be used together to create a wide variety of looks. There are shades that can create everyday, natural looks, to super deep smokey and colourful looks. I've been using this palette so often and each time I have managed to create a different look!

L-R: Skinny Dip, Unconditional, On Fire, Queen Bee, Shine Bright




Skinny Dip is a light-medium warm brown. This is the shade I've been using the most in almost every look. It's the perfect transition shade to pop in or just above the crease. It is warm in tone, but I find it works really well for either very warm or slightly cooler eye looks. 

Unconditional is a medium warm orange-toned brown. It's ever so slightly darker than Skinny Dip and much warmer and is the perfect transition shade for warm eyeshadow looks or in general as a wearable warm toned brown.

On Fire is a deeper warm, reddish brown. A gorgeous shade for deepening the crease or outer corner in a warm eye look.

Queen Bee is a dark warm, slightly purple-toned brown. Again, a great shade for adding depth and dimension, or to smoke out an eye look.

Shine Bright is a shimmery orange-toned copper shade. A very pretty shade that is perfect for the lid to accompany the other shades in this row.

L-R: Vaycay, My Tribe, Be Sassy, Jet Setter, Happy

Vaycay is a gorgeous shimmery light, champagne gold. This is such a pretty shade! I love this all over the lid when I'm going for a more "daytime" eyeshadow look.

My Tribe is the quintessential matte cream shade. I use this in every look as a base (to set my eye primer) and to highlight under my brow bone.

Be Sassy is a pale mauve-pink shade. Unlike some other pinks that are super baby-bubblegum (*cough* Too Faced *cough*), Be Sassy is really quite wearable and works well as a light transition for a more cool toned look.

Jet Setter is a medium mauve shade that works perfectly with Be Sassy. I love this as either a transition or in the crease in cooler or berry-toned looks.

Happy is a shimmery taupe shade. Although it's one of the cooler shades in the palette, I still find it very wearable (on my yellow skin) as it's not too grey, and there's still a bit of mushroomy beige in it. 

L-R: Dainty, Fierce, Flirt, Day Dream, Own It

Dainty is similar to Vaycay but is slightly more pink toned. It's also gorgeous though and very reflective. I find it works great as an inner corner highlight!

Fierce is quite an intriguing shade. It has a red base with a pinky/berry shimmer/reflection. I actually haven't used this on the eye yet, but it is a great shade for a berry smokey eye!

Flirt is a purple-toned maroon shade. Quite colourful but still very wearable.

Day Dream is a deep dusty purple shade. This was probably the only matte that wasn't super pigmented or creamy, as you might be able to tell. It swatched a little patchy and I'm not surprised seeing as I haven't had great experience with any dark purples!

Own It is a deep gunmetal grey shade with some slight purple and silver shimmer. Not my favourite colour and I can't see myself wearing it much! I also found it to be slightly sheer and in need of building up. 


The Liquid Velvet formula is quite a nice liquid lipstick, but not one that dries to a completely matte finish. It has a moussey texture and feels very lightweight and comfortable on the lips. I'd say it has a satin/matte finish, but because it doesn't dry, it is prone to transferring. A positive though is that it isn't at all drying and wears off evenly! Pin Up is a berry-nude shade in that it's like a my lips but better, but darker and more intense in colour, but not your typical berry red shade! It's very pretty and definitely works well with the eyeshadow shades.

So there is my review! I honestly adore the eyeshadow palette - I find the shades inside to be perfectly curated, super wearable and for the most part, easy to work with. It really is a great every day palette with options, and the versatility to go dark or more colourful. Although it has some negatives, they're minor and easily worked around! If you had your eye on this, I totally recommend it, and an opportunity to support an Australian Youtuber!

No comments:

Post a Comment