04/04/2016

Lips That Stay All Day

Ah, matte liquid lipsticks. The bandwagon that everyone and their mother is on. I actually had not tried any proper matte liquid lipsticks until late last year, with my first foray into them being the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks. I picked up the set of minis that was part of their holiday collection of last year, however all of these shades are permanent (I believe!) so I hope this review and swatches is still helpful! I'd read very mixed reviews on these, it was pretty much love or hate so I was very curious to try them for myself...




L-R: Caramello, Patina, Aria, Como, Chianti, Fiery (wet)

L-R: Caramello, Patina, Aria, Como, Chianti, Fiery (dry)

Mixing colours!

Patina

Before I get into the shades, I'll review the formula for you guys. Now, as these were my first proper matte liquid lipsticks (not counting the NYX Soft matte lip creams because those do not set!), I didn't have much to compare them to. Since getting these though, I have tried the likes of the Sephora Matte Lip Creams and Kat Von D Everlasting liquid lipsticks. I won't be comparing them though because I still need to test everything properly. I'll definitely do a round up post in the future though! 

The doe foot applicator is rather flat but easy enough to use to apply the product. The liquid lipstick itself has a fairly thick, almost moussey texture. I've read that people prefer thinner formulas as they're easier to apply but to be honest I don't really mind either way. All of the shades apply fairly evenly and opaquely, I don't have to layer them at all - and if you do try to layer things get cakey and dry very quickly! Chianti can be a little patchy because it's so dark but applied carefully it's fine! Once applied, it takes about 10-20 seconds before they dry, 30 seconds to a completely matte finish. I find they dry a teensy bit darker. Generally during this time I'll mix colours or rub the product in with my finger to make sure it's even. As you can see from my colourful hand, these mix together really well and it's easy to apply one colour and quickly go in with the other on a lip brush. Emphasis on quick though otherwise things can get very ombre (intentional or not!)!

Anyway, this product dries to a matte finish, however it's doesn't feel weightless on the lips. There is still a little bit of stickiness when you touch your lips together, but I don't find it annoying at all. There's minimal transfer and it's really quite comfortable on the lips. I don't feel like my lips are DRY like concrete. As you can tell from my lip swatch, this emphasises lines in the lips, and you must exfoliate prior otherwise it will pick up on flakes! The prune-y lip situation is pretty much unavoidable with matte liquid lipsticks right? Lasting power on these is excellent! I pretty much never reapply because I'm lazy, and I can get away with it! The center of the lips will wear away slightly with food and drink, but it's more ombre than...butthole lips - y'know?! ;) Especially with the more nude shades it's fine! You can reapply though, and things will get a little drier and cakier like I said, but it's bearable.

Caramello is a pale nude with a fairly warm, brown undertone. I thought I would get the least use out of this as it's a bit too pale for me (unless I'm rocking a black smokey eye which is unlikely!), but actually - I've been getting the most use out of it! What I love it for is mixing with other shades to make them a more nude, toned down version. It mixes awesomely with pretty much everything and I love it!

Patina is the cult mauve shade and it almost has rosy-beige undertones. By far the most wearable shade and another of my faves!

Aria is a berry shade but almost a bit brighter and more magenta than the typical. It's really lovely and wearable but for me I almost wish it was a bit darker...which I can achieve if I mix a little of Chianti in!

Como is an insane neon violet, blue-toned purple. I have not had the guts to wear this out yet but it is a stunner! I think I would most likely wear it mixed with another shade to make it a bit more wearable!

Chianti is a super deep, blackened purple-burgundy shade. I haven't worn this one out either but I'm sure once colder weather rolls around and I'm feeling them vampy vibes, it'll be perfect! Again though, great for mixing and deepening other shades!

Fiery is your classic red with slight blue undertones. Red is generally not my colour, but I have worn this once and it is an awesome shade!

So that was a longer review than anticipated...TL;DR I really like these! They are pigmented with a fairly comfortable matte finish and they last extremely well. I can see why people may not like the slight stickiness, or moussey texture but those are things I'm pretty indifferent about! I think Stila's shade range is absolutely great, and if one in particular catches your eye - it's definitely worth checking out!

Have you tried the Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks? Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway which ends on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment