05/01/2015

The Best of 2014 // Makeup

Kiddies, it's time for the big 'un. The pinnacle and summation of 2014, documented in makeup products. I didn't want to make this post too long, and really tried to pick the products I used and loved most throughout 2014. I also didn't want to repeat anything from 2013's favourites, so products like the Dolly Wink Eyebrow Powder or Lorac Pro Palette which I used and loved immensely, haven't been included. Speaking of 2013's faves, looking back, while a lot I still like, others I've completely ignored. Funny how opinions change! Also, APOLOGIES for the slightly grainy/off photos, the weather was shitty this day, and I had to edit the crap out of them! BUT anyways, I've done reviews for most of the products, so they'll be linked where applicable!































































No doubt about it, my favourite foundation of last year, and possibly of all time! It just ticks all of my boxes. It's lightweight, has buildable light-medium coverage with a skin like finish that's not too dewy, nor too matte. It also lasts super well on me, even with my oily t-zone. This shade is spot on for my skin at the moment, however the shade range is horrendous. If you have a match, go for it!

There were a couple of BB creams that I really enjoyed this year, (shoutout to the Rimmel Matte BB Cream), but this one was definitely my fave, especially in the beginning of 2014. It has amazing coverage for a BB cream as well as lasting power. The only drawback with the formula is that it's slightly on the heavier side, but it still has an amazing natural finish. The shade is slightly too light but I can make it work! 

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Ginger
This guy came late in the year, but dayum, he stole the show. Throughout most of the year, I really loved the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer, but the NARS is just so much better. It's thicker and more creamy, and therefore has a lot better coverage as well as lasting power. It doesn't cling to dry patches as much, and really is the more superior of concealers. Definitely an all-time fave!

Bourjois Healthy Balance Unifying Powder in 55 Dark Beige
While I've always loved the Australis Fresh & Flawless powder, I've always found the shade a tad off. Since discovering the Bourjois powder, I really haven't reached for F&F since (oops!). The shade is great for me, and I find it such a gloriously light, silky powder that sets the skin without looking too powdery or matte. It adds a slight bit of coverage as well. It doesn't control oil outstandingly, but it's good enough for a long day - I don't mind a tiny bit of shine at the end of the day (without touchups)!

I've still been loving pretty much every other Real Techniques brush I own, but the Multi Task was a new addition to my collection this year and MAN, it lives up to the name. I love this guy for powder, blush, bronzer and even liquid foundation recently. It just blends everything amazingly and is the perfect dense-ness and fluffiness. 

























For the first part of the year, no doubt this guy was my fave. First of all, I still can't get over the gradient, secondly the shade is perfect! It blends from an orange to a hot pink, when blended create the perfect corally/pink/peach shade. Lasting power is awesome as well. Plus, it's cheap as chips!

Also a late entry, but has stole my heart as my favourite cream blush of the year. Shoutout to Max Factor Soft Pink which I loved in the first part of the year, but I feel like Stila's formula is slightly better. It's hella pigmented, uber blendable and has a great lasting power and dewy finish. The colour is more peachy too which I prefer!

NYX Powder Blush in Terra Cotta
I've maybe only spoken once or twice about this blush, but it's definitely one that got some use. Last year I really discovered the wonders of a neutral blush (shoutouts to MAC Warm Soul and Tarte Exposed). Terra Cotta is a very bronzey/coppery/rosey shade with shimmer that adds a beautiful warm glow to the cheeks. It's a bit more intense than the others I've mentioned, but I absolutely adore it sheer or slightly more built up, it really complements any coppery eye looks I do - which are quite often!

Nvey Eco Organic Compact Bronzer in Natural Bronze
I'm not so sure I really have an absolute favourite bronzer, but I must say I used this one very often. It's quite warm in tone - but not orange, if that makes sense. I don't feel it would suit paler skins though. It really warms up the face well and adds some shape and shadow. The formula is so smooth and blendable!

Although I have been really enjoying the Australis Contour & Highlight Kit in the past month, this little duo really opened my eyes to the wonders of a cool-toned contour. It really helps carve out cheekbones when placed and blended strategically. The formula is really good. It's sheer which helps it look natural and keeps it easy to use. The highlight is nice as well, though my favourite from last year is still theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer which I featured for 2013!

























Although my review wasn't exactly glowing, I can't deny that I love the shades in this palette, the formula on the most part is really good and I've used it a lot. Things have been pretty dull on the eyeshadow front, so the Naked 3 has still been the new shiny thing! My all time fave is still Lorac Pro though! 

Maybelline Bad to the Bronze has been kicked to the curb! Lots o' Latte is just so much more convenient to apply and blend, and I've been using it a heck of a lot as an easy, quick eye look. I've really come to love popping a light shimmery shade on top as well to add even more dimension.

L'oreal Telescopic Waterproof mascara
Yup, this guy's still kicking around. I've definitely had it for way too long, but I can't deny that it still works! When I first got it, I really wasn't impressed, but after a while it dried up a little, and I warmed up to it. I really like the skinniness of the wand - it helps get to the lash roots! I find it holds a curl well, however it does smudge a little despite being waterproof. Definitely my most used mascara of the year though!

Estee Lauder Pure Color Intense Kajal EyeLiner in Blackened Black
My liner love of the year. In 2013, the Rimmel Scandaleyes was my favourite for tightlining, however in the beginning of 2014 I wasn't really feeling it. It smudged under my eyes and I tended to forgo lining all together. Then, this baby came along. With no expectations at all, it quickly rose up to a daily staple. It's super pigmented, creamy but not too creamy, and with one heck of a staying power. No smudging or fading!

























Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Complex
2014 was definitely the year of the lip crayons for me (late to the party, I know). It's weird but there weren't any new lipsticks that I really LOVED last year. I still do love the ones I featured in my 2013 faves though. Complex was the discovery of the year in terms of nude lips for me. It really is my perfect pale nude. It's peachy and brown and complements my yellow skin super well. It doesn't wash me out, and looks great with heavy or light makeup. The formula is pretty dang awesome too!

Babe. This guy was a long time coming, and when I finally got my hands on it, I was smitten. It's an amazing pinky-peachy shade with a crazy glossy and pigmented formula. It lasts quite well and leaves a stain, but is super comfortable to wear.

Possibly one of my most used lip products of 2014, definitely my most used gloss. It such an amazing, wearable, MLBB shade with a super plush and shiny, non-sticky formula. It's just so easy to throw on with any look, and is super comfortable on the lips. While I would like to pick up more shades, none of the others are really calling to me!

Phew! Congrats if you read all of that word vomit! 2014 in a nutshell, basically. So it's out with the old, and in with the new! Let's see what 2015 has for us, makeup wise :D

S H O P  T H E  P O S T  >>

No comments:

Post a Comment