16/05/2013

A Fruity Foundation

Hey there! Today I have a foundation review on a product I've really been enjoying lately! It is the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation. This is a highly raved about foundation and even Essiebutton's holy grail! I had to give it a go and I bought it off of Ozsale for a mere $8 ($10 if you include shipping)! I also picked up a couple of blushes which I will have reviews for soon.


First up the for the packaging! Yay - it has a pump! I always feel like pumps are essential, yet so many brands don't have them! The bottle itself is plastic which I'm not really sure about. This foundation is pretty expensive and I would kind of expect a glass bottle, though it is light weight so great for travelling and you won't have to worry about it smashing if you drop it!


This product boasts about having a 16 hour lasting power, radiance-boosting qualities, instant blend-ability,  flawless complexion and undetectable coverage. It also has vitamin-rich fruits of lychee, goji berries and pomegranate - which explains why it smells so darn delicious! It definitely smells fruity but almost green tea ice-cream like? Whatever it is, it's yummy, fresh and makes the application a whole lot nicer! I will also add that this foundation does not contain an SPF which is good if you're wearing it at night or with flash photography. For daytime wear, simply add an SPF below.


I have it in the shade 53 Light Beige which is a teeensy bit too light for me, but I can get away with it because of it's light coverage. Coming up to winter though, I think I might lighten up a bit (though I never really notice a change). Although this is too light, I think the next shade would have been too dark. Most if not all the shades offered are quite yellow-toned.

Onto the formula, I find this is a light-medium coverage but is very buildable. I can achieve a very good medium coverage and it doesn't look cakey at all (I'm sure you could probably go even further). One pump (or even less) is just the right amount for a full face! The product itself, I would describe, as a gel (as it is marketed). It is thick, but very lightweight. When I say thick I mean it isn't very runny at all. It doesn't have a creamy consistency, so I think gel is just the right word. It certainly lives up to many of its claims! It is so blendable. It only takes a few brush strokes for the product to be completely worked into the skin which makes application very quick. The finish is also as described - dewy and it looks so natural on the skin, virtually undetectable! It doesn't cling too badly to dry patches (or accentuate them) and in turn it is slightly moisturising on the skin. This being quite dewy though, I find I definitely need a mattifying powder to avoid becoming oily throughout the day. I think this wouldn't really suit  very oily skins (I am combination).


One claim it doesn't live up to, however, is it's staying power. It claims 16 hours but I highly doubt it would last that long, especially on me or oilier skin types. I find it gets through the day fine (10 hours) but it isn't looking too fresh by the end. I would definitely recommend a good setting powder with this, I really like the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder. To amp up the staying power and coverage of this foundation, I really like mixing it with my Revlon Colorstay Foundation. The Healthy Mix then softens the finish of the Colorstay.


Overall, I really love this foundation! It's definitely one of my faves and Holy Grail material! Although it is relatively expensive and the shade range isn't extensive, I highly recommend giving this one a go! This retails for around about AUD$30 I believe for the usual 30mL of product. 

Have you tried the Healthy Mix Serum foundation (or the original)? How do they compare?


11 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the smell of the Bourjois Healthy Mix foundations! I have the original one (not the serum) but I can imagine the serum being more hydrating and having a more dewy finish. I agree that the coverage is only light, but it's great for those good skin days :) I also find that it definitely doesn't last 16 hours which is a shame! Oh well, we shouldn't have makeup on for that long anyways :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So yummy smelling! Do you enjoy the original? I've heard it provides more coverage and a less dewy finish. Haha, yeah, all I need is for it to still look good by the end of the day!

      Delete
  2. The packaging is so cute! I wonder if i can find this in my local drugstore :)



    Jamie Kate
    http://allaroundchekwa.blogspot.com
    All Around Chekwa x Oasap May Giveaway. Join here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is pretty cute - I like all the fruit! I hope you can too, though Bourjois isn't sold everywhere :(

      Delete
  3. I love the original Bourjois Healthy Mix, it's second to only my love of Nars Sheer Glow! The original smells lovely too :)
    http://www.mishellesleepytime.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Maybe when I finish this one, I'll try the original or the new dewier one.

      Delete
  4. I've heard so many great things about Bourjois foundations. But I'm staying away because pretty sure the strong scent will break me out. I'm so tempted to sniff it when I pass by it in Priceline though!
    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that sucks! Fragrance free products are better for everyone's skin though then makeup application wouldn't be as pleasant! Haha

      Delete
  5. I bought this during the 40% off sale at Priceline. I got the shade 53 too and it's a tad too light for me but I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that you got it on sale, although it is really good, it's just too expensive!

      Delete